Trusted Southern Ohio Attorneys

How does uninsured motorist coverage work in Ohio?

On Behalf of | Oct 26, 2020 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Like most states, Ohio follows a fault-based insurance system. If you sustain injuries in an auto accident you did not cause, you will – under this system – file your claim through the at-fault motorist’s insurance company. Yet, an uninsured or underinsured motorist might have hit your vehicle. Or, a hit-and-run driver might have fled the scene after crashing into you. In these instances, you may fear that you will pay for some – if not all – expenses related to your accident out-of-pocket. But you can protect yourself from these costs by making sure you carry uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage.

Ohio’s insurance requirements

In Ohio, motorists must abide by mandatory minimum insurance requirements as a protective measure. These requirements are:

  • $25,000 for injury per person
  • $50,000 for injury per accident
  • $25,000 for property damage per accident

The state does not require motorists to carry UM/UIM coverage on their insurance policy. Yet, your insurance company must have offered it to you when you purchased your liability coverage.

How uninsured motorist coverage can protect you

Some motorists in Ohio forego UM/UIM coverage because they consider it a needless expense. Yet, your UM/UIM coverage will only add a small extra fee to your insurance bill. Since 12.4% of Ohio motorists do not carry liability insurance, you will likely find that your UM coverage will offer you protection and value greater than its slight cost, especially if an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run driver injures you. And because many other motorists’ policies merely meet the state’s minimum requirements, your UIM coverage will kick in if you sustain serious injuries and your medical bills exceed their limits.

By making sure you are properly insured, you can protect yourself in the aftermath of an accident with an uninsured motorist, underinsured motorist or hit-and-run driver. A personal injury attorney can help you deal with your insurance company and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.