There are plenty and dangerous and risky behaviors negligent drivers may engage in that result in car accidents. For that reason, it is important for be familiar with the types of dangerous driving behaviors that can lead to car accidents and the legal protections available to victims.
Negligent driving practices
There are a variety of negligent driving practices that can lead to a car accident including:
- Driver inattention: Many drivers drive with less than 100% focus on the roadway. Driver inattention, such as rubbernecking and other behaviors, can lead to car accidents.
- Driver distraction: Many drivers engage in distractions while driving that make it unsafe for them to driver. Driver distraction is a primary cause of driver inattention. It can include texting while driving and the many other forms of distracted driving which can lead to car accidents.
- Fatigue or drowsiness: Many drivers make the decision to drive while they are too tired to safely do so. Drowsy driving can cause car accidents.
- Speeding and reckless driving: Many Americans speed while driving and speeding, as well as reckless driving, contributes to many car accidents.
- Alcohol and drug impairment: Impaired driving results in tens of thousands of car accidents each year.
- Stop sign violations, red light violations and illegal lane changes: When drivers do not obey traffic rules, signs or lights, it can lead to car accidents.
- Maintenance: Poorly maintained vehicles can become unsafe and may result in car accidents. Faulty vehicles, car parts, brakes and steering can all also result in car accidents that can lead to liability when they are defective.
There are many unsafe behaviors drivers can engage in that can wind up causing a car accident. Car accident victims can suffer serious damages they were unprepared for which is why a personal injury claim for damages against the negligent driver responsible for their crash may be able to help with their physical, financial and emotional damages following a car accident.